I have been re-working my dns-service-discovery and lexmark-config scripts to make use of the nmap dns library. Why I failed to do this from the beginning is a mystery to me and others. The re-work went well and the end result allowed me to completely ditch the mdns library. In order to achieve what I needed I had to make some slight changes to the dns library which I have posted as a patch to the nmap-dev list.
While re-working the dns-service-discovery script I totally changed the output as well. It’s now less DNS:ish and more focused around the information. Here’s an example of the new format:
As the dns library is in use by other scripts I’ll wait until the changes are tested and confirmed not to break stuff before I post it here. If someone is eager to try the new scripts out the patch and scripts can be found here:
Just posted some code (libraries and scripts) that allows Nmap to do LDAP queries. It’s available from the nmap-scripts page. The code consists of two libraries asn1 and ldap that do most of the work. The LDAP library supports the SearchRequest, BindRequest and UnbindRequest operations and therefore supports both unauthenticated and authenticated searches.
The functionality is still somewhat limited and the library has the following shortcomings in my opinion:
At the moment it only supports simple bind
It lacks filter parsing support. That said, it supports filters, but they need to be supplied using tables rather than their textual representation as described in RFC 2254.
SSL is currently not supported mainly because I didn’t have an SSL enabled LDAP server running.
Some attributes returned by AD fail parsing and return a blob of hex characters.
There’s an annoying GUI indentation bug that needs tending to.
Despite these shortcomings I’m releasing a first version of the library and scripts. The scripts have undergone limited testing against both OpenLDAP and ActiveDirectory.
I just posted a new Nmap script that uses the DNS Service Discovery protocol to enumerate information from a remote host. The script queries the Multicast DNS Service/Bonjour/ZeroConf for a list of services and then queries each service for additional information. The results are decoded and presented in a list similar to the one below. Systems that are known to ship with this service active include Apple OS X, Ubuntu and many printers.
The script is available over at the Nmap script page and should be run like this:
So, my friend Ian Vitek enlightened me again. Apparently when the published application list is long it’s split up into multiple packets and the client needs to keep reading them until the magic byte at offset 31 is toggled to 1.
I have adjusted my script so that it checks for this and prints a complete list of published applications, instead of just the first packets. The script can be downloaded from here.
For more information on how to get it running, check my earlier posts or post a comment to the article.
As I’ve been tinkering with VoIP for a while I decided to write a version detection script for Nmap. It’s my first stab at both Nmap scripting and the Lua programming language so don’t expect to much. The limited tests I have made show that it does a reasonable job and returns any version information present in the server response. The script can be found here.
The new release adds support for a target file containing a list of IP’s to scan. This may be useful for enumerating instance names from a number of known SQL Server addresses. Get the new version here.